Introduction: In 1970, highstrength and stiffness aromatic fiber search was began in Russia by Prof.Georgy I.
Kudryavtsev. This research produce three type of fibers.· Terlonis a amid fiber based on copolymer of poly-(p-phenylene terephthalamide)(PPTA) including diamines.· SVM(Vnivlon) is based on aromatic heterocyclic polyamide (PHA) of principalchemical constitution ?? NH Ar1 NH CO Ar2 CO In 1969, first publication waswritten about PHA fiber Vnivlon.
· Armos isbased on aromatic heterocyclic copolyamide of principal chemical constitution? NH Ar1NH CO Ar2 CO? NH Ar3NHCOAr2CO ?Aroma fiber have high tenacity and having high thermal and fire resistantproperties as compare to SVM.Fiber Structure: Fiberstructure are different on all molecular, super molecular and micro level. Terlon fiber structure:ON molecular level, Terlon is PPTAand copolymer based.
Its statistical segment is 30-50 nm. Main polar group ofTerlon is CONH.ONsuper-molecular level, Terlon extended chain are in 3D crystalline order. Theirchains are highly oriented. In Terlon Stress-holding molecular chainsproportion 0.6–0.
75.Onmicro level, Terlon have round cross section and low heterogeneity, SVM fiber structure: ON molecular level, SVM is hetrocyclicparaaramid based fiber. Its statistical segment is 20-40 nm. . Main polar groupof SVM is CONH; N. ON super-molecular level, SVM extended chainare in 1D crystalline order. Their chains are highly oriented.
In SVM Stress-holdingmolecular chains proportion 0.6–0.75. On micro level, SVM have roundcross section and low heterogeneity. Armos fiber structure: ONmolecular level, Armos is hetrocyclic paraaramid copolymer based fiber. Itsstatistical segment is 20-40 nm.
. Main polar group of Armos is CONH; N. ON super-molecular level, Armos extendedchain non crystalline. In Armos Stress-holding molecular chains proportion0.6–0.75.
On micro level, Armos haveround cross section and low heterogeneity. Mechanical Properties:Terlon:· Density of Terlonfiber is 1.45-1.47g/cm3.
· Moisture content ofTerlon fiber is 2-3%· Tenacity of Terlonfiber is 2.5-3.5GPa.· Dynamicdeformation modulus of Terlon fiber is 130-160GPa.· Static deformationmodulus of Terlon fiber is 95-120GPa.
· Elongation atbreak of Terlon fiber is 2.5-3%. SVM:· Density of SVMfiber is 1.
45-1.46g/cm3.· Moisture contentof SVM fiber is 3.5-4.5%· Tenacity of SVMfiber is 4-4.
5GPa.· Dynamic deformationmodulus of SVM fiber is 130-150GPa.· Staticdeformation modulus of SVM fiber is 95-115GPa.· Elongation atbreak of SVM fiber is 3-3.5% Armos:· Density of Armosfiber is 1.45-1.46g/cm3.
· Moisture contentof Armos fiber is 3-3.5%· Tenacity of Armosfiber is 4.5-5.5GPa.· Dynamicdeformation modulus of Armos fiber is 140-160GPa.· Staticdeformation modulus of Armos fiber is 100-120GPa.· Elongation atbreak of Armos fiber is 3.
5-4%. Thermal Properties: In case ofterlon as temp increase and time decrease, tenacity and elongation at breakalso decrease. At 300C for 100 hours tenacity of terlon is 27 and elongation atbreak is 33%. But at 200C for 1500 hours tenacity is 65.7 and elongation atbreak is 57.1. Similar In case of Armos as temp increase and time decrease,tenacity and elongation at break also decrease. At 300C for 100 hours tenacityof Armos is 27.
5 and elongation at break is 39.2%. But at 200C for 1000 hourstenacity is 82.
9 and elongation at break is 109.8. Thermal Characteristics:Terlon:· Ignition temperature of Terlon is 450-500C.
· Self-ignition temperature is 500-600C.· Limiting oxygen index is 27-30%· Destruction temperature of Terlon is 450-550C.· Glass transition temperature of Terlon is 345-360C. SVM:· Ignition temperature of SVM is 500-600C.· Self-ignition temperature is 550-650C.· Limiting oxygen index is 41-43%· Destruction temperature of SVM is 450-550C.· Glass transition temperature of SVM is 270-280C. Armos:· Ignition temperature of Armos is 500-600C.
· Self-ignition temperature is 550-650C.· Limiting oxygen index is 39-42%· Destruction temperature of Armos is 450-550C.· Glass transition temperature of Armos is 220-240C. As weincrease temperature, loss of strength of these fibers also high. In case ofArmos, strength and elongation at break is slightly higher than for Terlon.Terlon is less fire resistant as compare to SVM andArmos because SVM and Armos has nitrogen-containing heterocyclic structure.